classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Message Notes plus for Thunderbird is NOT MAINTENED anymore

alehro
Administrator
Please stop writing emails to me asking to make it compatible with going on and on new versions of Thunderbird.

I understand that lost of notes can be very disappointing but that happens not because of me. It is because  Thunderbird team decides that they need to mark good old extension as incompatible.

Your notes are stored in SQLite database in Thunderbird profile folder. If you have enough experience you can read them there. Though it will be hard to match them with corresponding emails.

More appropriate workaround is to install old version of Thunderbird which is compatible with the extension.

If you still have questions then please write them in this topic. I will answer when I have time. I won't answer direct emails anymore. Sorry for this.
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Message Notes plus for Thunderbird is NOT MAINTENED anymore

Jean Carlo
Hei Ale. Tks for the patience. I'm a soft dev and you would consider help me to update the Message Notes plus for new thunderbird?
Reply | Threaded
|

alehro
Administrator
Hi Jean,

That might work. What exactly do you suggest?
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Jean Carlo
Yesterday, I spended some time studying your code.

I fixed some problems, like variables without var ou let.

Because it was late, I needed to go to sleep.

I stoped in a problem with File.IO module. It isn't available.
And you use in method AddonManager in mnpSingle "object". s3.js file.

The Mozilla recommend to change to OS.File module and I need to study more your code to don't do messy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Stefan
Thanks, Jean, for trying to get Message Notes Plus into a shape that Thunderbird would consider "compatible". It's very much appreciated! I've been using the add-on for years, and would be sad to see it disappear because there's nothing comparable I could use instead.
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew
Good luck, Jean.

Like many others I'm sure, I've got a wealth of valuable info logged as Notes eg user names and password clues which will be frustrating to lose.

Other email clients used to let you edit existing messages with such info but the Thunderbird designers in their wisdom have always resisted this.  It's a great pity.

Hope you are able to breathe life into the app to get past the guardians at the gate.

Andrew
Reply | Threaded
|

alehro
Administrator
Okay! I see that quite a lot of people are interested in the update and continue bumping my email box. Thank you all for your feedback. I am raising priority of this from zero and will try to do the update in a week or so. Also I have some ideas on how to improve the situation with updates overall and will try to implement them later.
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Jean Carlo
My add-on version are working in general.

The add, delete and search features are working.

It have some problems with icons, self-extract add-ons isn't`s supported anymore. And the way to work with images is completely different.

I need to spend more some time to think how to do.

I need people to test too.

Alehro could provide a deploy after tests.

In future, the best would be to rewrite the interface with user, using WebExtensions.
Reply | Threaded
|

alehro
Administrator
Hi Jean,

May be it is worth to publish the add-on in the state you currently have. I will try to set version compatibility the way that your version will be available only for new TB versions and won't affect users which prefer to stay with old versions of the TB. Please send me the add-on on the email I have just sent you as private message.

Regards,
Alex
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Jean Carlo
Hi Alex,

I didn`t receive your private message.

You can contact me by message on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeancdsantos.

Tks in advance,
Jean.
Reply | Threaded
|

jamaisx
In reply to this post by alehro
Hi I'm trying too to update the add-on to TB 60, but I'm not so skilled in developing TB add-ons. I just applied the major changes from TB 47 to 60, but without success... How about to share the code (also the Jean code) on github or other platform?
Reply | Threaded
|

alehro
Administrator
Hello,

This looks like really good idea. I need to remove commercial version stuff. Then publish it to github. And then Jean will be able to publish his version as brunch. I will try to do that on the weekend.
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

jamaisx

Thanks! This is a small step for man...

Il 7 dic 2018 12:09, "alehro [via contact alehro]" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hello,

This looks like really good idea. I need to remove commercial version stuff. Then publish it to github. And then Jean will be able to publish his version as brunch. I will try to do that on the weekend.
Alex

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.alehro00.com/Message-Notes-plus-for-Thunderbird-is-NOT-MAINTENED-anymore-tp4637684p4637696.html
To unsubscribe from Message Notes plus for Thunderbird is NOT MAINTENED anymore, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

alehro
Administrator
Here is it https://github.com/alehro/message-notes-plus

Jean,
Please publish your version there
Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Message Notes plus for Thunderbird is NOT MAINTENED anymore

Schmitty
Now alehro had published on github but Jean did not contribute his changes, did he?
Reply | Threaded
|

jamaisx
I tried to contact him in several ways, no real feedback on his thoughts... I think we have to start from scratch. I tried to follow the Mozilla guide to migrate code, but I have no enough time (and knowledge) to dedicate. Any contribution will be gold!